Thursday, May 13, 2010

come swing with me



A while back, when I was out-and-about, something caught my eye. Along a jogging path and amongst several majestic oak trees, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, hung a single, red, wooden swing. I couldn't help but think to myself......who hung it there and why? It looked rather out of place and I was curious to find out more about it. After a little research, I found out that it was the handiwork of a group called The Red Swing Project. Click here to find out more about them.



To me, these swings convey such a powerful message. In our hurried, fast-paced world of cell phones, work deadlines, and family obligations, take time out to enjoy the simple little things in life. I mean, who doesn't like to swing? I think this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson sums it up quite nicely.


The Swing


How do you like to go up in a swing,

Up in the air so blue?

Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing

Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,

Till I can see so wide,

Rivers and trees and cattle and all

Over the countryside-

Till I look down on the garden green,

Down on the roof so brown-

Up in the air I go flying again,

Up in the air and down!

Maybe one of these swings will come to a city or town near you someday. Whether or not, try to take some time out of your day to just "swing".

No comments:

Post a Comment